Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Drive to DC

Last weekend I drove from Daytona to Washington, DC, because I'll be spending the next two weeks working at the Naval Research Lab (NRL), working with my postdoc advisor, Guru Ganguli. NRL has a bucolic campus, nestled on the banks of the Potomac River, directly across the river from Washington National Airport.


Of course, it's right next to the Blue Plains Wastewater Treatment plant. And if the wind is blowing just right, look out!

I brought Sarah's Flat Stanley that she made 10 years ago, and hopefully he'll be photographed in more historic places than the Georgia state line. However, so far, the only place I've been in NRL, and I am not allowed to take photos at NRL, so he's be staying in the car.


My main improvement to the driving trip was to stop at every rest area. When I drive, or sit for long periods of time, my right leg tends to cramp up. So, to alleviate this, I decided to stop at every rest area and walk around for a few minutes. It worked! My leg was fine, and I think I only missed two rest areas. But I did stop at 14 rest areas in the 800 mile trip. So, if there really were 16, that's about one every 50 miles, which sounds about right.

No comments:

Post a Comment