Sunday, October 5, 2014

Das Deutsche Museum

I went with my friend Wayne to the Deutsches Museum yesterday. It is a huge museum that has exhibits ranging from 'the history of calculators' to 'musical instruments'. We happened to be in the musical instrument room when a docent was playing several of the instruments, one of which was a harpsichord from the 1500s!  It sounded very cool.

My favorite spot (so far) was the roof, on which there was a sundial garden. There were about 20 different sundials, even one on the ground (look for the figure 8 - it's called an 'analemma').


However, one of the neatest was a polyhedron sundial, with a different sundial on each face.


I plan to go back because I became an annual member of the museum. Well...kind of. I haven't paid yet. In Germany, their preferred method of payment is the bank transfer. So, while you could pay cash for the 8,50 € single entry fee, you could not pay cash for the 52 € annual membership. I filled out a form, they gave me a temporary membership card, and I promised to transfer 52 € into their bank account. Very different from the U.S., where they wouldn't let you set foot in the place until you had paid.

Such are the lessons that I'm learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment