Sunday, October 19, 2014

Munich impressions (3)

Tipping is not as prevalent as it is in the US. And when tipping does occur, it is at lower levels and is much more relaxed. For example, if you eat a meal at a restaurant, you would tip only 1-2 EUR rather than a fixed percentage (and a rather high percentage) of the bill, as in the US. Also, the way you tip is more casual. This evening I ate with a friend and the bill (which was simply written on a piece of paper) was 13,80 EUR. I gave the waitress a 50 EUR note and said "fünfzehn" (fifteen) indicating that I wanted to pay 15 EUR (i.e., a 1,20 EUR tip). She gave me back 35 EUR in change. It's all very above board, rather than the somewhat secretive way we tip in the US, leaving an amount on the table  and then leaving.

They put mayonnaise on French Fries (or Pommes). Just like John Travolta learned in Pulp Fiction. And there are many things that are 'finger foods' in the US, but here they use a fork and knife. French Fries, for example. With mayonnaise. And burritos. In order to not stick our like a sore thumb, I have to eat my burritos with a fork and knife. It's important for me to watch people around me to make sure I'm not committing a blunder.

One thing that's not so different. As I rode my bike around central Munich today, I saw quite a few people who I assume are homeless. I guess it's a problem everywhere.

1 comment:

  1. I love the scenery, the snow, and the glacier! Thank you for blogging!

    ReplyDelete